In honor of African American History Month, also known as Black History Month, both Fold3 and American Ancestors (New England Historical Genealogical Society) have made several relevant databases free to the public.
Free for the month of February on Fold3 you can find:
- "Colored" Troop service records
- Court Slave records
- Amistad records
- Slave registry
- Anti-slavery records
American Ancestors is offering guest users the following databases for free during February:
- Hampden County, MA: Black Families in Hampden County, 1650-1865
- People of Color in the Massachusetts State Census, 1855-1865
- Massachusetts: 1855 State Census
- Massachusetts: 1865 State Census
- Free Negro Heads of Families in the United States in 1830
These are great opportunities to take advantage of.
SCGS members do have in-library access to these and other valuable resources. To learn more about the benefits of membership, visit our website.
Happy Ancestor Hunting!