07 May 2016

[CA-SCGS] Mother's Day Wishes Series - Part 4 of 4


Happy Mother's Day from SCGS!


Seeing Clearly
By Barbara Murphy Likovich

I wore a green shirt today
and saw my mother’s eyes staring back at me from the mirror.
Without the camouflage of make-up
I could see clearly that the size, the shape, the green hue
were all hers,
and a gift from her to me.

How did I miss before
how much of her was in me?
Did I need to reach her age in my memories
to see that she was part of me all along?
What else of her can I claim?
Her gentle ways, her delicate laugh, 
her delight in her posterity?
Do I possess her quiet resolve,
her strength of character,
her determination to keep moving forward
when opposing forces pressed against her?

I stare at her eyes and smile softly
as I welcome her back into my consciousness,
with all the memories those eyes hold for me.
The moment is at once a tender reunion with the past
and a sweet promise of the future, 
when I will again look into those eyes,
without benefit of a mirror or a green shirt.
And we both will see clearly,
together,
forever.


June 4, 2011



We hope you have enjoyed reading the poems and memories submitted by SCGS members and the SCGS Writer's Group.

The SCGS Writers Group will be meeting on Sunday, May 8, 2016 from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm at the SCGS Library in Burbank. The Writers Group is a lively, friendly group, sharing ideas for researching and writing their family tales and histories. Join them to learn how to turn the dry statistics of "Begats, Beweds and Begones" into lively tales of family and situation.

For more information please contact Jennifer Taylor.

Southern California Genealogical Society Family Research Library
417 Irving Drive
Burbank, California
(818) 843-7247

No comments:

Post a Comment