03 November 2017

[CA-SCGS] German Interest Group Meeting--Saturday, November 18, 2017

Researching your family tree and finding new, exciting, and sometimes surprising family connections? 

Join the SCGS German Interest Group at their next meeting to be held from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm on Saturday, November 18, 2017, at the SCGS Family Research Library. Don't miss out!
 


This month's speaker is Deborah Volper!!

Deborah's bio: My mother’s family is a good size and we had yearly reunions of my Swiss great grandparents Fankhauser and Gottier families.  My Fankhauser / Gottier great grandparents had 10 children with my grandmother being the eldest. So, we knew all of our great aunts and uncles and some great grand aunts and we were also close in age to some of our mother’s first (1st) cousins.
 
I became more interested in genealogy after my daughter had to do her family report in 8th grade.  I always thought all branches of my family were recent immigrants. My dad’s parents,  Volga Germans from Russia, in 1907 and 1911.  My mother’s maternal line are from Switzerland in the 1890’s. Her father’s maternal line from Sweden and Norway in the late 1880’s.  The surprise was my mother’s paternal line. Her lineage through her direct paternal Dowell ancestors have been in the United States from prior to the American Revolution.
 
My presentation will be about my Swiss family and how, because of family dynamics, I have many 1/2 cousins. Several of my 1/2 cousins have DNA tested. This presentation will lay the groundwork for how having 1.2 cousins helps to determine DNA connections through who they match.
 

The goal of the SCGS German Interest Group is to provide a wide range of resources both inside and outside the SCGS Library to help trace German families. Throughout 2017, our German Group will renew its "Routing Our Roots" as well as present short programs on German Exiles in Los Angeles County, History of German Towns, Human Interest Stories on folks of German Heritage, learning German Words and Old German Script, plus any last minute thoughts.


For more information, please contact Allene Aubertin.

SCGS German Interest Group
Third Saturday of the month
1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Southern California Genealogical Society 
& Family Research Library
417 Irving Drive
Burbank, California

Cross street Glenoaks
(818) 843-7247

www.scgsgenealogy.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment